Pennwood is committed to providing quality care and services in a manner that maintains and respects their spirituality, privacy, safety, independence, individuality and dignity.
We provide social and spiritual support to our residents by connecting them to their community. On Pension Days and other significant days of the year our residents attend various community centers. These include, but are not limited to, Hindmarsh, Kilkenny, Polish, Hungarian and Ukrainian Community Centres.
Residents are supported to attend various church services within the community. For those that are unable to attend these groups Pennwood invites pastoral care from all denominations to attend our facility and give one to one service (spiritual care) and group services.
When you step into Pennwood it is hard not to be moved by the culture. Examples of community harmony and inclusiveness include:
- The Australian and Serbian flag
- Our motto at the front entrance “Quality Care with European Flair”
- Pictures of Saints and past scholars who have contributed to the Serbian Culture
- TV displaying the history of Serbians in South Australia at front entrance
- Small Chapel on site
- Small cultural programs to meet individualised care needs from various European backgrounds and Australia. – Photos high tea
- Reminiscing in a variety of languages spoken by residents and staff
- Cultural food, music and dance
- European Satellite TV
- Cultural display cabinets with traditional artefacts
- Library resources, books, newspapers and music in various languages
- Serbian radio messages, requests and literature are obtained from Internet to keep NESB residents in touch.